Ships are behemoths of engineering, spanning hundreds of meters in length. They ship trillions of dollars worth of goods annually and support the global economy. The sheer amount of trade from shipping arises due to the robust nature of these engineering marvels.
BoatExpo gives you a platform to present your boat and outshine others through your intelligent design and applications along with its constituent parameters. Present your boat explaining what went into the designing and manufacturing of the same. Samudramanthan welcomes teams from colleges all over India to take part in this unique and challenging contest!
Stages and Timeline
Boat Expo will be organized in 2 rounds where the participants will receive a chance to present their work in front of judges and have a Q&A round.
Stage 1: AutoCAD file Submission
The Participants are supposed to make an AutoCAD file with given additional tasks and the file will be submitted online .
Model Testing and Q&A
The participants will have to present their model for testing to the judging panel. And then there will be a Question & Answer session for a fixed time duration.
Judging Panel and Criteria
The judging panel will comprise esteemed professors and technical experts from the Department of Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture, IIT Kharagpur.
Adherence to rules stated in this document (20)
Applicability of the model (25)
Originality and creativity (20)
Special features and innovations(20)
Presentation and delivery (15)
1. Presentation - 10 marks
2. Performance in Q&A session - 5 marks
The participants have to select a real world ship/ferry and create a model of it. You will have to present your design ideas compulsorily including the following parameters:
1. Physical parameters including length, breadth, draft etc.
2. Propulsion and control mechanism.
3. Type of hull form.
4. Real life application and uses.
5. Any other special feature/ innovation.
Minimum size of the model is
Length = 10cm
Breadth = 5 cm
Depth = 2.5 cm
While there is no upper size limit to the model it is recommended that the model is easy to transport.
Rules and Regulations
1. A team will consist of a maximum of 4 members.
2. You will have to present your design ideas compulsorily including the following parameters:
a. Physical parameters including length, breadth, draft etc.
b. Propulsion and control mechanism.
c. Type of hull form.
d. Real life application and uses.
e. Any other special feature/ innovation.
3. You have to bring your own laptop/pendrive for the presentation.
4. You must have a physical model of your boat to participate.
5. Time limit for the presentation will be 10 minutes followed by a question and answer/discussion round of 5 minutes. Crossing the time limit of 10 minutes will lead to negative marking/disqualification.
6. Bonus points will be given if the boats address the challenges of:
a. Ocean Waste Management
b. Beach Cleaning Technologies
c. River/ Inland Waterways Cleaning Technologies
d. Oil Spill Management
(The boat may not compulsory exhibit the special appendages in the product but may include the design ideas/changes required to address the above mentioned challenges in the powerpoint presentation).
Prizes & Rewards
All participating teams will receive certificates of participation from Samudramanthan, IIT Kharagpur. The top submissions may be published on our social media pages to appreciate their unique concept and approach.
Boat Expo 2023 will award cash prizes to the top 3 participating teams based on the presentation made. The overall prize pool money is ₹15,000/- for this event. The winners will also receive Certificates from Samudramanthan and a mention on our social media pages.